Wednesday, December 26, 2007

A holiday thank you note...

Her mother and grandmother always stressed the importance of thank you notes. Any gift she was given warranted a written, stamped, snail mail paper slice of appreciation. With this in mind, at the close of the year, she sat down one night in her pajamas and wrote him the thank you she felt he deserved. And she realized as she gripped the pen in her right hand, this would be the last handwritten note he'd ever receive from her...(and he used to love her notes).


To you,

The sun is setting on this tumultuous year and I still don't know where my current world began. When I reach back into my brain, into my heart (only sometimes) and try to pinpoint your location, your birth, I really cannot find it. Perhaps it is shadowed or buried. I don't really know.

But if anything, despite the words I could select tonight (and these are the ones that explode out when no one is here to listen) I choose to write you this thank you note.

For you gave me gifts despite your ardent attempts to give nothing.

Thank you, my departed someone, for making me so much stronger - for making me the fighter I am today.
For without you, I might never have learned this incredible sensation of survival.

Lady Lunacy

No comments: