Thursday, February 12, 2009

Profile: Mr. Kevin Jeffries, Attorney

Damn, it's hot in here today. I haven't seen this many people in Vere's court in years. This Weedgrass lady apparently knows a lot of people or the back section is filled to capacity with the Ladies' Church League. Whatever, I really don't care. I want to gain some good ground today before 4 pm so we can knock off early and I can hit the bar before going back to the office.

I really hate the law, actually. It's not all that fair. I got here because of my propensity for hair-splitting. That's all the law is really, splitting hairs and public service announcements. It's only here where we separate life and vitality from paper and call it a day.

Or at least, this is how I feel today. I'm pissed off and too hot in this stupid, pin-stripped suit. I look like a gigolo and feel like my pants are too tight. I might as well be wearing a fedora and a pocket watch.
Dammit.

Maybe I'd feel better if Katherine hadn't canceled on me already. Our last real date was two weeks ago and ever since I made a legitimate pass at her, it's been "I'm sorry, but tonight's not gonna work out...." Blah blah.

Women.

She's a lawyer too, but frankly, we never cross paths except for that one, clumsy night at the prosecutor's Christmas party. I only went for the free booze and McCormick's new paralegal.

The truth is, I like Katherine. She's smart, pretty, and knows the law. She can put a few back too which is nice so I don't always feel like an alcoholic around her. I mean, I have a few drinks now and then, but I'm no addict.
I can't say I regret trying to take her home that night, but she was pretty pissed off when she realized I like her for her mind and......all that other stuff.

I should probably forget about her. Focus on work. Bang a few beers or broads or something. But I'm not that guy anymore, I don't think. It's not the same and my posse of buddies is dwindling. All these weddings and babies and crap.


Damn, it's hot in here. And now Weedgrass is pulling on her hair and wringing her hands. What the hell is this? Now all of a sudden she's nervous? I better check my notes again. If this woman lied about the boy's history, I'm gonna blow a gasket.

I don't need that right now. It's too warm in here, the beer at Bill's Pub is cold, and I can call Katherine one last time. It wouldn't hurt.

No comments: