Thursday, January 24, 2008

Post-traumatic Stress


You don't know this yet

But sometimes when it it's really dark in here,

(and honestly the midnight blackness is beautiful most times)

It becomes imperative to open the eyes.

Adjust.

Seek out what really hides underneath the bed, you know?

I mean, they say there really aren't monsters under there, but you just don't know sometimes.


I saw one once.

It was around for only a few minutes, but damnit it bit me.

Left one hell of a mark.

Call it my battle scar if you will, but honestly, had I had a real weapon, I'd have shot it right then and there.

But it got away.


They're fast suckers. Slipped out the door into the winter 4 AM

and just freaking disappeared.

By the time I'd grabbed the rifle and my shot, it was long gone.


So you see, when it's really cold outside, and a bit insanely black in the room,

I get a little angsty, a little pre-war inside.

It was only ever that damn monster's fault and I really don't know where it is.

But we still gotta check under the bed before going to sleep.


Okay?


You just never know, because it's dark.

And it's so cold outside, because it's January.

Now that I think of it, it was January then too.


What do they look like? Monsters?

I have trouble remembering it sometimes.

Bigger than us, but not by much.

Not a lot of hair really, but more scaly, slippery, like a fish with claws.

Someplace between crab and octopus.

You really can't pin one before being bitten.

You gotta just tear off after 'em when it's over.


Or that's what they all say.


I haven't seen one since that morning.

I don't think I'd even know what color to look for.

All I know is that the monster that bit me is missing part of a tentacle.


I mean, hell, I bite too.

Doesn't everyone have teeth?
Somewhere?


I just gotta tell you this.

It seems simple, monsters under the bed.

I won't bring it up again so long as we just check.


Maybe keep something sharp beneath us.

Just in case.

Because you just never know.


No comments: